Mold can be found almost anywhere there is a lot of humidity such as near leaky gutters, humid basements, and even over your roof. With an apparent dark greenish tint, algae and mold can eventually damage your roof shingles and lead to rot and an ugly appearance. Mold on roof shingles may also emerge in the form of brack spots or stains, which is typically seen in warmer climates exposed to hot and humid summers.
Clearing fungus, moss, mildew, and all the relevant stains from a roof is a challenging task. Hence, several homeowners seek trusted roofing experts to do the hard work. However, if you still think you can do this yourself, make sure you spare some time to guard your property and collect the proper equipment and tools for the task. Learn how to get rid of mold from roof shingles yourself and always seek a professional if you are unsure of the process.
Protect your house and garden
You can remove mold from your roof shingles using a generic bleach product. However, this is often toxic to the environment that surrounds your property. As the bleach may probably escape the roof and run down the house outside, you should take all necessary measures to protect your home property from the side effects of bleach. Preferably, you should shield all plants, equipment, and other objects in your garden to mitigate the damaging effects of bleach.
You’ll also have to do some basic maintenance work to prevent the formation of excess moss and algae. Begin by cutting off some hanging tree branches to enable direct sunlight. This sets a less welcoming setting for mold to develop. Additionally, you should spare some time to do periodic checks of any dirt and debris that falls on your roofs such as twigs, leaves, and others. You should also keep your gutters cleaned often to enable good water release. You should also consider getting some copper or zinc lines to your roof to stop moss and algae formation. If you choose to upgrade your roof at some point, go for asphalt shingles with mold-resistant properties.
How To Get Rid Of Mold From Roof Shingles
Prepare a bleach solution
While you wear some protective gloves and a mask, dissolve ¼ part of bleach into a clean bucket or bowl with ¾ part water. Next, add a tbsp of trisodium phosphate to the bleach and pour it into a pump sprayer. Spray generously the roof spots affected with mold with the solution.
Wash away the bleach mixture
Once you spray the shingles with the bleach solution, let the bleach sit for around 15-30 minutes (depending on the level of mold found). Use an external hose at low pressure and rinse all the roof shingles carefully to get wash away the bleach. When you do this, begin at the top affected shingle and work at downright mode. While you wear your gloves, pass your fingers around the shingles. If they feel slimy, coat them with the bleach for another time and let it sit for another 10 minutes then rinse again.